May 06, 2008

"ABOVE AND BEYOND"


Often we use the word “astronomical” to mean things are beyond our finite minds to comprehend. My earliest incomprehensible thought was of the mosaic sky as I gazed in awe from my third-floor window at night. I wondered about the Heavens, God, eternity, and the myriad of stars winking at me as I drifted off to sleep.

Light travels 186,000 miles per second, approximately 6 trillion miles in one year. Some stars are billions (yes billions!) of light-years from the earth, literally an astronomical computation to ponder. Many scientists agree with theologians that astronomy indeed proclaims God's greatness.

Think of the power that reigns the vast Heavens with such mathematical precision, the One who choreographs the planets to eternally dance in orbit, the One who rules this Universe and all others; and yet, He is the same power who hears and answers our prayers.


When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have ordained; what is man that You take thought of him.....

Psalm 8:3-4

No comments: