February 09, 2008

"ONE DAY AT A TIME..."


There are two days left before I go into the hospital for double mastectomies. When I went for the preoperative testing yesterday, everyone was so caring, and they spent time with me. I was understandably anxious, but they reminded me to take it "one day at a time". Most people think that "one day at a time" was coined from someone who spoke a long time ago at an AA meeting. Actually its author is Christ.


It's at the end of his sermon on the mount. He begins by talking to his disciples, instructing them how to pray sincerely and not like the hypocrites. He taught them the Lord's Prayer, and explained about forgiveness and righteousness. He spoke about where they should store up their treasures, not on earth where moth and rust destroys them, but store them in heaven; for "where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Then he continued by reassuring them because they were anxious about what they would have to eat and drink, and what they would have to wear, and how their needs would be met. He said to them, "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." In other words, focus on today, and just today. When you get to tomorrow, that day will have its own difficulty as well. Live each day for itself, one at a time.


It wasn't until tonight that I remembered Christ's words in Matthew. I don't have everything organized as I had intended to before I go into the hospital, but I know that the Lord will take care of my family and make sure they are safe, fed, and warm.
As for me, I'm not worried about myself. Christ is with me as I walk on this long journey. It may seem that I'm walking by myself, but I know He's here, every step of the way.

No comments: